Awamaki is a Peruvian and a U.S. 501(c)(3) non-profit organization working to promote community development in Ollantaytambo, Cusco, Peru. Awamaki works to provide the skills, training, and access to market necessary for women and rural families to earn an income to lift themselves out of poverty. Our programs include fair trade women’s crafts cooperatives, sustainable tourism and community education. For more information, see http://awamaki.org/about/.
Volunteering with Awamaki is a valuable experience for anyone interested in a career in international development or social enterprise. We rely on volunteers’ fresh ideas and skillset to constantly improve and expand our programs, and in return, we give our volunteers a high level of autonomy and responsibility over their individual projects. Because of this, volunteers are required to commit to a minimum of 3 months.
General Requirements for Volunteering with Awamaki:
- Intermediate/Advanced/Fluent Spanish, or commitment to take intensive Spanish courses at our language center to improve your proficiency.
- 3 – 6 month commitment
- Work at least 30 – 35 hours per week during their placement, including a minimum of 6 – 9 hours per week staffing Awamaki’s Fair trade store in Ollantaytambo.
- Enthusiasm, resourcefulness and the ability to think on one’s feet.
- Organized, efficient, and dedicated.
- Team player, sociable, excellent customer service skills.
- Adaptable and flexible to be able to work in an often-challenging environment.
- Must be able to take the initiative.
Awamaki is seeking aGeneral Media/ Marketing/ CommunicationsVolunteer
Awamaki currently seeks a Media volunteer to act as part of the Marketing and Communications team. As Awamaki experiences a period of growth and refinement, the Marketing and Communications team is of the utmost importance in leveraging limited resources to reach a wide audience both locally and internationally, and attract visitors to the variety of programs Awamaki offers here in Ollantaytambo, Peru. The media/ marketing/ communications volunteer will take part in a wide variety of tasks pertaining to the Marketing and Communications team, and will work alongside other volunteers and Awamaki staff to create strategic and comprehensive communications outreach tactics and fundraising plans.
Awamaki’s Media volunteer will be managed by the Marketing and Communications coordinator, and in collaboration with other volunteers and Program Coordinators across all of Awamaki’s programs. The Media volunteer will be expected to contribute skills and insight into the Marketing and Communications team, and will be encouraged to be creative and forward thinking throughout the various projects involved with the position. Outside of the tasks noted below, the Media volunteer will be expected to assist with ad hoc media projects as they arise.
The Media/ Marketing/Communications volunteer should expect a full schedule throughout the week, including a variety of tasks and environments. This volunteer will spend a lot of time collaborating with the Marketing and Communications coordinator, attending scheduled meetings and brainstorming sessions, as well as developing his/her own self led projects pertaining to various needs throughout the Marketing and Communications team.
Media/Marketing/CommunicationsVolunteer Responsibilities and Potential Projects
- Support Marketing and Communications Coordinator in managing Awamaki’s relationship with Global Giving and other fundraising outlets.
- Work alongside the Marketing and Communications Coordinator to develop a successful and efficient CRM system.
- Contribute articles to Awamaki’s newsletter.
- Assist with strategic social media presence through multiple outlets such as Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, etc.
- Edit and revise the format and text of Awamaki’s WordPress website as needed.
- Take part in general media operations throughout all of Awamaki’s programs including taking and organizing photos, creating promotion videos, etc.
- Be willing to assist with all other relevant ad hoc marketing and communications projects as they arise.
Requirements for working with Awamaki Communications/ Media/ Fundraising
- Interest in non-profit work
- Conversational/ fluent in Spanish or desire to partake in intensive on site Spanish classes upon arrival.
- Thorough understanding of various social media outlets including Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, etc.
- Experience contributing to non-profit newsletter writing.
- Ability to help manage a successful CRM system.
- Experience living and/or working in multicultural/international environments preferred.
The current Awamaki volunteer fee for 3-month and 6-month volunteers is a one-time payment made prior to arrival of$1,392. Because Awamaki is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in the United States, most of this ($820) is considered a donation and is tax-deductible in the United States to the extent allowed by law.
As recognition of the value and importance of long-term volunteers, $700 is refunded upon completion of 6 months as an Awamaki volunteer.
The volunteer fee includes the following costs:
- Program donation fee($500 USD)This fee provides essential support for Awamaki’s programs that serve the cooperatives and the community. $100 of your program donation covers any materials that volunteers may use for individual projects during their stay. The remaining balance of approximately $400 directly supports Awamaki’s programs.
- Administration Fee ($320 USD)This fee compensates many of Awamaki’s behind-the-scenes costs of hosting volunteers from internet bills to staff costs so that we can maintain services to enrich the volunteering and cultural immersion experience.
- Three night weaving immersion workshop in Patacancha ($200 USD) This four-day / three-night workshop in the indigenous Quechua community of Patacancha allows volunteers an irreplaceable cultural immersion experience as they learn ancestral weaving techniques from expert weavers.
- First month of homestay in Ollantaytambo ($300 USD) This fee goes directly to a local homestay family in Ollantaytambo and covers a private room in the family’s house and 3 meals per day while providing an extra source of income for the family.
- Volunteer welcome and departure ($72 USD) This fee covers the cost of welcome events, departure gifts, and a pick-up from the Cusco airport